Complete Beginners Guide To Yoga For Health And Fitness
Introduction To Yoga
Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices that originated in ancient India. Yoga is now one of the most popular means to achieve healthy living practiced by millions worldwide for health and fitness.
Today, yoga has become the most trusted exercise for mind and body practiced by all age groups due to its simplicity and the associated health benefits.
The word yoga is derived from the Sanskrit root yuj, meaning “to yoke” or “to unite.” The practice of yoga aims to create union between body, mind, and spirit, as well as between the individual self and universal consciousness.
Yoga practices essentially help people to overcome the limitations of their individual personalities and rejuvenate mind and body with positive thoughts and energy. It works, creating a sense of spiritual awakening.
Yoga has been practiced for thousands of years, and while many different interpretations and styles have been developed, most tend to agree that the ultimate goal of yoga is to achieve optimal physical and mental health.
Although each school or tradition of yoga has its own emphasis and practices, most focus on bringing together body, mind, and breath as a means of altering energy or shifting consciousness.
The word yoga was derived from the Sanskrit word yuj, which means “to join” or “to unite.” This union is not merely about your nose touching your knees as you bend to touch your toes!
The union referred to is that of your mind with your body. You integrate with your surroundings and nature. Finally, connect your individual consciousness to the universal consciousness.
Yoga For Health And Fitness
Asanas in yoga are an ancient science of posture-based exercise called asanas, or postures. Yoga helps to achieve physical and mental fitness. Asanas are an important aspect of yoga that help to improve the body’s physical strength and flexibility.
Asanas in yoga are the physical postures of the body performed as per the recommended yoga practice described by the Hindu sage Patanjali in 196 manuals called the Yoga Sutras.
The simplicity of yoga and the health benefits are attracting a large number of people interested in learning the yoga practice. Yoga is not just turning and twisting the body. Yoga practices involve the right combination of physical body postures called asanas, breathing, and spiritual awakening.
To maximize the health benefits, beginners should learn yoga practices according to the recommended best practices, preferably from a trained yoga guru.
16 Health Benefits Of Yoga
- Yoga helps to improve physical fitness.
- Yoga is highly effective for weight management.
- Regular yoga can help you achieve healthy weight loss.
- Yoga is highly effective for stress management.
- Yoga helps to improve mental health.
- Yoga helps to unite body, mind and spiritual awakening.
- Yoga improves focus and concentration.
- Yoga substantially improves immunity.
- Regular practice of yoga brings inner peace.
- Yoga improves emotional health.
- Yoga can reduce fatigue and improve energy levels.
- Yoga improves flexibility of the body and posture.
- Yoga is highly effective for back pain relief.
- Yoga improves memory function.
- Yoga reduces ageing.
- It improves cardiovascular health.
Can I Learn Yoga By Myself ?
Most beginners who intend to start practicing yoga by teaching themselves face this dilemma. The simple answer to this question is yes, provided you are committed to this cause and willing to take the necessary steps.
However, yoga is a complete science, and one should be prepared to invest the required time and efforts to learn yoga in a scientific manner to maximise the health benefits.
If you are a complete beginner and excited to start learning yoga in the fastest and easiest way, then you have several options. The choice of approach entirely depends on your individual preference.
Some people find reading a blog or text book at their own pace a more preferred option. Similarly, some people find learning yoga by watching video content, either on YouTube or any other platform, much easier to assimilate.
Learning yoga from a professionally trained and highly skilled guru is another tried and tested method for learning yoga quickly and within a time limit. However, this option might not be suitable for all due to several constraints.
So, irrespective of which option might work the best in your situation, in most situations, you will be going through the following learning sequence:
How To Teach Yourself Yoga ?
- Commit yourself for learning best yoga practices.
- Learn basics of yoga.
- Start with simple asanas in yoga.
- Allow your body to get adapted to yoga.
- Practice complete asana technique.
- Practice asana posture as well as correct breathing.
- Be prepared to go through the learning curve.
- Do not compare with others rather learn at your own pace.
- Practice regularly preferably during early morning hours.
- Practice yoga poses, breathing and meditation.